BACK AGAIN JANUARY 2021

 Back Again-January 17, 2021

Well I know it’s been 2 years since I’ve posted and I actually have no excuse except laziness. When you’re on the road the last thing I want to do is sit on my computer. But a funny thing happened this week. We are back in Magnolia, Texas (near Houston) where we are planted for a month to miss some bad northern weather. They had 3 inches of snow I’m told at home in Missouri. Didn’t miss that!! Anyway one of the best things we love is meeting new neighbors when we are parked. We met an awesome couple, Nancy and Don. They were on their first trip out so definitely newbies. So we talked and talked and talked in order to share what we have learned and listen to what led them to this “glamping” endeavor. During our conversation we gave them our “Living the Dream” business card that we share with friends. It has our home address, our picture, our phone numbers, our email and this blog spot.  They mentioned that they remember reading our blog a few years ago. I was shocked as I didn’t realize anyone ever read it. So I decided I’d make myself pick it back up.

I guess we are not newbies anymore. We’ve been doing this for 4 years almost and yet each trip brings some new experience, new excitement and new disaster. 

2018 ended with us staying in Hermosa, South Dakota for the month of October.  We thought we were safe before winter would hit but the last week of October they got 27 inches of snow. Fortunately we saw what was coming and we left 5 days early and we literally missed it by 1 day. They went from bad to worse so we learned very clearly that when RVing, you need to keep a close watch on the weather and take off when bad weather is coming. We loved our stay that year but would have freaked out in a blizzard. The last two days we were there it dropped to freezing and I was so worried something would freeze. We purchased insolation to cover the batteries, a small lamp to heat the outdoor kitchen, unhooked the city water and made sure the 3 propane tanks stayed full. We have  a polar basement but was told not to count on it under 20 degrees and it was down in the teens. But nothing froze. 

That being said the 30 amp electrical pole we were plugged in to had some kind of problem after the electricity went out one night and we were never able to get it to work. That was when we decided given the weather and electrical situation we would leave. We initially thought it was our electrical system but when we plugged in at another stop we were fine and it never happened again.

PROBLEMS

The first problem we encountered on that trip was in Iowa. We stayed in a really nice state park….so we thought

Here’s one tip.Check the spots out online if you can as far as leveling. We had a spot and it took us 2 hours to find a level place. I’m not kidding….2 hours. We were so frustrated. There were tons of spots empty and although we couldn’t get ahold of anyone or any number in the park to change, we changed to another spot. That’s how frustrated we were. We are not rule breakers but we do have our limits and we had reached ours. No one ever contacted us or came by. We were there for 5 days.

Then we had an issue with our largest slide not wanting to go in all the way (2 inches out). Was that ever a fiasco. We called around and tried to find someone to come out. We couldn’t find anyone. We called our RV Service Department at home and they said drive slow and we should be fine.  I was a nervous wreck. We found a service department in Mandan, North Dakota. Corey, the service guy agreed to see us that day if we could get there early afternoon. The Place was Corral RV. I can’t rave enough about this place. We ended up staying in the sales part of the building most of the day but it was so worth it. Corey found the problem and was able to fix it and didn’t gouge us. We were so impressed that we gave him an $80 tip. He was so worth it. In fact, if this place wasn’t so far from home we would take our RV to them for the  annual check-up every year. The owner was Deb and she was an angel. She ended up sitting with us all afternoon and chatting. This is a home spun family place we only wish we had more of in the RV world. 

2019 is a blur. My step-mother passed away and we moved into a new stage of life. We needed to make sure my 92 year old father was happy and cared for. He is an amazing man. A Navy vet who instilled in me my love for travel. Now he was alone. A niece and nephew moved into his house and take wonderful care of him. He brags that he a cook and handy-man living with him. They are the epitome of real Christians. 

However, my father enjoys most in life coming to my house for morning coffee. He lives about 10 miles away and comes every morning after daily mass. Yes, he still drives. In fact, he purchased a brand new car. I It beeps when you move out of the line. I was so relieved until I found out he disconnected it because he didn’t like the sound of the beep. Oh well!!! It’s been such a blessing to have this time with him. 

But our 4 or 5 month RV trips must be on hold. We still do 2 to 3 week trips and always our month in January in Texas to visit Richard’s family and old friends. When we are gone, my father “coffee’s” with my younger sister, Starr Zizza. But she is not retired so she is often stretched. But I appreciate so much my partner in caring. She always steps up when I need her. 

2020-do we really need to say anything. Being retired during COVID has been a blessing but no less stressful. My father, now 93 just got his vaccine and as usual he was a trooper. He was proud to get an early phone call from the VA hospital to schedule the vaccine. He didn’t even get a sore arm. 

AND NOW TO 2021

This is our first trip of the year. Started out with a bang. The day we were to leave Richard LOST his keys, yes he did. We were packed and ready to leave but I refused to take off with only one set of keys. In 68 years you learn what things you never do and having only 1 set of keys is one of them.

We look for several hours. Yes the house that was in fine shape was now in upheaval. Under my bed almost made me vomit. It must be cleaned when we return. Do you know how much food ends up in the cracks of the sofa or rather 2 sofas and 2 recliners. And what’s underneath is no picnic either. HOWEVER you problem won’t starve at Armageddon! All vehicles are completely cleaned out but NO KEYS!! We finally broke down and he went to the Lock Doctor and purchased a new $120 fob for the Ram 2500.

The next day we were on the road. WE made it to Magnolia Texas to our favorite RV park and favorite site. Parked, leveled, plugged in, hooked up and went inside to settle in. 

THEN, the bathroom sink started pouring out water.  Drenched all the stored toilet paper and hall rug. 

Bedroom slide made a popping noise and hot water heater wouldn’t heat water.

Once again, I sat down and said, “I’m done, we’re going back to hotels.” Richard said, once again, “Don’t worry, be happy, everything can be fixed.” He called our RV service repair guy at home (The guy remembered us because he had our RV for 2 ½ months for annual check-up and slide repairs. They also scratched the outside by accident but guess what?????They didn’t get to it to fix it before we left so told us to bring it back when we get home)  So yes, he remembered us and was very helpful in walking Richard through what to do. One of the slide cable simply came off the track. When they winterized they left the hot water heater valve turned on and neglected to tell us, so Richard turned the lever and we got hot water. The sink turned out to be either a washer or faucet. WE have a mobile repair guy coming out tomorrow to fix it. So as Richard said, “All is fine.” I’ve slept, so I’m not exhausted and I am, again, very happy to be here in my “happy place.”

WE have already met some wonderful neighbors which only emphasizes why we love this life. We played cards in the game room last night and loved every minute of it. (Who said old people don’t have any fun? NOT)

I went out for Mexican food with my dear friend of 40 years who just recovered from COVID and I have plans to meet 3 high school friends from 53 years ago for lunch, so yes, “I AM BACK IN MY HAPPY PLACE.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment